This was the site of the first bakehouse and sailmakers quarters in 1834. Those buildings were replaced by the sandstone building in 1848 and were further extended in 1854.
The Law Courts introduced convicts to Port Arthur’s regime of ‘ceaseless vigilance’, discipline and punishment designed ‘for grinding rogues into honest men’ When convicts arrived at the Port Arthur settlement, they were lined up in front of this building and a clerk read them the rules of settlement. Then the commandant spoke to the assembled men and told them how hard their lives were to be for the first few months. If they offended, the building served as the settlement law courts where offences were heard and punishments ordered.
In later years, Commandant Boyd established a library and reading room in the building and socials were held for the entertainment of officials and their families. After the closure of the penal settlement, the building became the Police Station. It narrowly escaped the 1895 bushfires but was gutted by the 1897 bushfires.
It remained in a ruined state until 1919 when a timber second story was added and the building became the Hotel Arthur which was able to accommodate up to 60 guests. Unfortunately the building was again mysteriously burned down in 1921 and has remained a ruin ever since.
The Macquarie Street State School was built in 1895, replacing a building of the same name. It served as one of the principal Hobart schools until it was finally replaced by the South Hobart Primary School in 1964. The building is substantially the same as when built. The building is solid sandstone, with a corrugated steel roof. The timber windows appear to be the same as when they were built. The roof was probably originally slate or shingle.
The original building had four classrooms. One of these was divided in two c1937. At the same time an extra window was placed in one of the classrooms created by the subdivision. A teachers' office was added c1938. Originally intended to be constructed in sandstone, this was eventually constructed of bricks rendered in cement, to look like sandstone blocks. At about this time the ceilings were lowered to make heating easier. The original pipe lined ceilings which followed the roofline still exist above the lowered ceilings. In the late 1940s or early 1950s a weatherboard library was added to the back, along the Paget Street boundary. At some time basic plumbing has been added, as has electricity. In 1964 a ramp was added to the side door (Macquarie Street frontage.)
In 1930 the current South Hobart PS infant block was built in Anglesea St , meaning students were separated into the ‘‘top school’’ and ‘‘bottom school’’. This delightful tale comes from the first move to the Anglesea site where the first building was for infant classes. It was recounted in an overall history of the school’s changes by an ex-pupil, Ray Jeffrey, in an article in the Saturday Evening Mercury in February, 1964: “In the move, the chairs, tables and small equipment were transported by the children, themselves. For all of one day they resembled a nest of ants at work up and down the street. The first party of about 20 infants on the move mistook directions, and presented themselves, complete with their loads, at the front door of a newly-completed home near the school.” No doubt there was one startled home-owner! (The significance of the 1964 newspaper report is that that was the year when the consolidation of the school on the one site was completed.)
The historic property, which dates back to 1895, was a school until 1964 and for the following 40 years predominantly served as an adult education facility owned by the Tasmanian Government. It was placed on the open market but was unable to find a suitable buyer.
Local residents and local MPs began lobbying for the site to be used as a community hub and by March 2015, the Tasmanian Government announced confirmation of state and federal government funding for the transformation of the former Macquarie Street Primary School building into a community, arts and cultural hub.
The $2.3 million innovative arts and cultural centre will provide an affordable space for artists, groups and organizations and serve as a place for locals to meet, make new connections and undertake activities. A brilliant way to preserve a beautiful heritage building and an integral piece of the local community.
The Oatlands Supreme Court House is one of the oldest Supreme Court houses in Australia and one of the oldest sandstone buildings in Oatlands. The earliest part of the court house was built in the winter of 1829 on a shoestring budget. Police Magistrate Thomas Anstey had been lobbying for years to get a courthouse and police office constructed, but with no results until, by lucky chance, a convict stonemason from Campbell Town was sentenced to the Oatlands chain gang for misconduct. Campbell Town’s loss became Oatland’s gain. As soon as he arrived in Oatlands, stonemason John Mackintosh was nabbed for public works and set to work building the new “Chapel & Justice Room” on the scenic shoreline of Lake Frederick. With the assistance of George Wood, a transported highwayman whose greatest coup had been robbing the Brighton Mail Coach, the pair managed to erect a substantial stone building.
All this was accomplished while they were wearing the mandatory chain gang leg irons and the hated yellow slops marked with the broad arrow. Other members of the chain gang quarried the stone, carted the lime and provided the timbers. Thus, a convicted thief, a highway robber and a selection of transported criminals built one of Tasmania’s most important court houses.
By 1834, the court house was completely inadequate to meet the needs of the district. To fix this problem, the Chief Police Magistrate sent a rough pencil sketch of proposed additions to Colonial architect John Lee Archer, the designer of Parliament House and St Johns Park. But Archer was not a man to do things by halves. Any other architect would have thrown together a few extra rooms and been satisfied with the results, but not Archer. Instead he set about giving the Court House a comprehensive makeover that would transform it from an ordinary regional court house into something quite extraordinary.
Archer’s first move was to build the new front rooms, not in simple freestone, but in beautifully executed ashlar stonework with decorative quoins. Not satisfied with this, he added a perfectly proportioned classical doorcase, decorative plaster cornices and mouldings and a raised circular platform for the judge’s bench. But by far the most exciting Archer inspiration was the decision to cut into the existing roof structure and insert a complex, precision built ceiling made from laminated timber beams. The final flourish in what was fast becoming a high status building was the addition of an expertly carved stone mantelpiece, quite possibly by the convict stonemason, Daniel Herbert, who at this time was engaged on his lasting masterpiece, the Ross Bridge.
The charm of Archer’s grand vision may have been lost on some of the courthouse’s paying customers. After all, this was a place where your fate would be decided, especially if you were a convict. A great deal of the day to day business of the court house revolved around convict discipline. For example, in 1837, assigned servant Mary Burns was sentenced to “Six Weeks At The Washtubs at the Female Factory” for being “drunk, insolent and generally useless”. However, worse punishments were also common such as the sentence of 16 lashes given to Abraham Heywood for beating up another servant. In most cases, prisoners convicted of theft would be sentenced to hard labour in chains at Port Arthur.
In 1841 the Oatlands Court was upgraded to a Supreme Court and the buildings were upgraded accordingly. A Judge’s room and jury room were added. Two holding cells were built at the rear. The commencement of the Supreme Court sittings consolidated Oatlands claim as the interior capital, as the only other sittings were at Hobart & Launceston. With the arrival of the Supreme Court, the Court House entered on a grander but grimmer phase in its history, as death sentences could now be imposed here. And for 18 unfortunate men, that sentence was carried out, often in front of a large crowd, outside the gates of the Oatlands gaol.
In 1848, plans were drawn up for a new and much grander Supreme Court House, to be attached to the gaol. The old courthouse was to be demolished. For reasons unknown, this plan was abandoned and the 1829 building was used for another 35 years. Even after its use as a court house came to an end the building continued to be used for public affairs. It was transferred to the Oatlands Municipality in 1862 and became the Town Hall and Council Chambers while court sittings continued. In 1885 the current Town Hall was built with a new court room and in 1891 the dilapidated Court House was sold to the Oatlands Mechanics Institute, which held lectures and ran a library.
In a strange twist of fate, the Supreme Court, where so many life & death decisions had been made, became a family home in 1909. Now after decades of private ownership, the building is now owned by the Southern Midlands Council and is undergoing restoration as a heritage centre and exhibition space, celebrating the rich history of the region. A building of this age shows the passage of time, with every mark on the walls and floor telling a story about its history.
Main Text & Information Source
“Supreme Court, Oatlands – A Court House Built By Criminals” – Interpretive brochure by Southern Midlands Council
This elegant brick mansion, originally known as “Elmdon” was originally constructed for Theophilius Cane in 1882. Cane was the proprietor of an ironmongery business that operated today’s 74 Elizabeth Street, (the building still has his name emblazoned on it)
By 1915, the mansion had become the Elmdon Private Hospital, fitted out with some of the most modern equipment and appointments and was well known for offering midwifery, surgical and medical services.
It later became known as Nurse Wooley’s Private Hospital and then as the Montrose Private Hospital.
By the late 1940’s the building had reverted to residential use. It currently is used as office space by the Working It Out Tasmania organization.
Main Text & Information Source –
“The Story of North Hobart – Street By Street” – Donald Howatson 2013
This beautiful building was perhaps the longest running shop in Kempton and for many years provided serious competition to W.H.Ellis’ Green Ponds Store.
Built about 1833 by George Wood, it was sold shortly after to Elizabeth Mayhew, a widow who operated the shop as a general store until her death in 1881.
The shop was then purchased by George Lumsden who ran the store as a grocery, drapery and ironmongery store. “Lumsden’s” was a real landmark on the old highway until it was sold to Mrs Garland in 1917.
The shop continued on, changing hands a number of times until it was bought by Basil Johnson in 1950 who ran the shop as a service station.
The house has now become a private residence and it is a really important part of the modern Kempton streetscape. A beautiful building that has stood the test of time and its many different roles.
Main Text & Information Source & Historic Photo – Interpretive Sign at the site.