Post offices were operated by the Tasmanian Government up until Federation in 1901 when they became the responsibility of the Commonwealth of Australia. The original New Town Post Office was officially opened on the 1st January 1842.
Towards the end of the century, steady growth in the number of people living in the New Town area led to calls for a new post office to serve the area. In June 1890, Philip Fysh, the Premier announced that the Government had purchased land at New Town and that plans were being prepared by the Government Architect for a new post and telegraph office.
The Director of Public Works advertised for tenders for the New Town Post and Telegraph Office in October 1890. The contract was initially given to W H Cheverton but an error in his tender was subsequently discovered and the contract was then awarded to Messrs Dunn and Valentine, the next lowest tenderer. The amount of the contract was ₤1,333 and the works were to be completed in 25 weeks.
The building was duly completed in 1891 and a postmistress was appointed by the postmaster-general. The Post Offices served the New Town community for many years from their original premises until the 1891 New Town Post Office was relocated to smaller premises in the 1970s and the old building is now used as office space.
Main Text & Information Source – Australian Heritage Database