The Sheiling (Gaelic for 'cottage') was built circa 1819 on land belonging to William Kimberley, who originally owned the land on which Pontville was established. The Sheiling was probably once used by police keeping an eye on travellers along the early road.
The police station (1839) and courthouse (1842) were built on land purchased from Kimberley in 1838.
During the 1840s the sandstone Pontville Bridge was constructed using convict labour, but has been extensively altered since its original construction. The bridge is part of the Midland Highway.
There were more than 2000 people living in the village by the mid-1840s.
The Roman Catholic Church of St Matthew was completed in 1866 but was rebuilt in 1927-28 after fire destroyed the original. The Congregational Church was built using local stone in 1876.
Although it is easy to simply pass through Pontville, its bridge, barracks, churches, gracious homes and workers' cottages offer a fine sample of colonial life.
Lythgo's Row, or The Barracks is another local landmark. The first of the cottages was built in the 1840s and sandstone from the quarry in which the Lythgo's Row is situated was used to construct the unusual pylons supporting the bridge nearby.
Epsom House: http://www.epsomhouse.com/?page_id=2
Shene Homestead: http://shene.com.au/