The Hobart Town Creek, later to be known as the Hobart Rivulet, appeared to satisfy this essential need, but by 1828 the government officially recognized that wastes from a variety of industrial, agricultural and human sources were polluting the water, and that during the late summer months the flow of the rivulet was sometimes reduced to a trickle.
Today, these reservoirs form part of what is known as Waterworks Reserve, a popular picnic and barbecue area. The original supply of water to the Waterworks reservoirs was from Fork Creek, captured by a circular masonry intake known as the Wishing Well.
A major problem confronting the designers of Hobart's original water supply around 1860 was how to get the water from the Mountain's southern slopes across Halls Saddle to the city outskirts. The solution was unusual in its extensive use of wooden and masonry troughing and associated sandstone features.
The Pipeline Interpretation Project. An initiative of the Fern Tree Community Association, supported by the Hobart City Council. Original research by Lindy Scripps.