This fine two storey sandstone mansion was originally constructed for Robert Hutchinson in 1890. Hutchinson was a native of Buckingham, England and had arrived in Sydney in 1849 at the tender age of 9 years old.
He went on to become an engineer and formed a consulting firm with his father in law which was called Huckson & Hutchinson. They were engaged by the Hobart Marine Board to design a wide range of structure including light houses, piers and Hobart's Victora Dock.
Bellevue has been substantially changed and enlarged in modern times with several unsympathetic additions and alterations but has survived and now serves the Bellerive community as the Clarence Seniors & Citizens centre.
Main Text & Information Source -
"The Story of Bellerive - Street By Street" - Donald Howatson 2015