Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Old Anglican Rectory, Sorell

This was the first rectory for the adjacent St George’s Anglican Church and was constructed by Chapman & Huddlestone in 1826 for the princely sum of 908 pounds. The building is rectangular in form with a stone struck rendered finish, cedar doors & panelling and a corrugated iron roof. Sorell’s first rector, Rev Garrard, lived there until 1832. The rectory was an important social and community centre was well as the residence for the Anglican minister. It was used for annual church fetes and other activities.

The verandah was added around 1900 and is a simple structure with timber decorative elements and a small gable over the entry. The verandah returns along one side of the building with French doors opening onto the verandah from the main rooms. Other extensions were made by Oliver Haywood in the late 1950’s to accommodate his large family. The building retains much of the same look as it did when constructed and retains its general setting in spacious grounds with trees and gardens. Several small shed of unknown date survive in the rear yard. The building was last sold in 2001 and has been faithfully restored by the new owners who have done a wonderful job.

This is a very fine colonial home that has survived with sympathetic additions made over a number of stages of development. It’s significant for its association with the Anglican church, for its social role in the early development of the town and for its fine streetscape qualities as part of a historic group of buildings. The rectory is now a beautiful private residence yet retains the feel of its colonial past.

Main Text & Information Source –
“Sorell Heritage Study – Site Inventory Vol 5” – Sorell Municipal Council 1996

2 comments:

  1. It is a lovely building which might have cost more money than the parish was prepared to spend on its minister and his family. However if the rectory was also an important social and community centre, well used by parishioners, they may have thought the money was very well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father Rev F.E. Coombes was the last Rector to reside here. We were there from 1964 to 1968

    ReplyDelete