This is one of the finest Georgian Inn complexes remaining in Australia. Built in 1826 by John Williatt as the Patriot King William the Fourth Inn, this substantial brick building with its fine facade, rear service wings, outbuildings and courtyard is an essential element of the historic village of Evandale.
Williatt built the Inn on part of a land grant of 36.5 acres of land on which he also built his home “The Laurels” which was one of the first homes constructed in Evandale. The Patriot King William the Forth Inn was first licensed in October 1835. It featured an upstairs assembly room which was used for concerts, dancing and as a meeting room for the Masonic Lodge and other groups.
Outbuildings on the site included a brew house, stables and loose boxes, a hay loft and accommodations for visiting groomsmen. Some of these buildings were ultimately destroyed by fire and the blacksmith’s shop and cottage were demolished to make way for a service station next door. Sheep and cattle sales were held in stock yards nearby.
Thomas Fall was the licensee at the Inn from 1843 till 1848 when he moved to his new hotel (possibly the Clarendon Arms Hotel). In the 1890’s the house became the home of David Collins and his family. Collins was the Warden of Evandale and later became the Council Clerk. By 1928, the building was purchased by Mr & Mrs Reg Dean and was maintained as the Dean family home until 1978 when it was sold to its present owners.
The building houses Tasmanian Stained Glass & Amnesia Antiques. Stained glass is made on site and shipped throughout Australia. It also offers colonial accommodation.
Main Text & Information Sources –
“Evandale Heritage Walk” – Evandale Community Centre 1992