Sunday, 5 May 2013
St Mathew's Church, Rokeby
The church was dedicated on September 24th 1843 by the first Bishop of Tasmania shortly after his arrival in the diocese.The church was consecrated by Bishop Nixon in 1855.
Some of the carved chairs in the chancel were made from the timbers of H.M.S.Anson which was one of the original ships of Admiral Nelson’s famous battle fleet.
St Matthew's Church burial ground is also an important heritage site and can tell many stories of hardship, achievement and local history. The first burial, that of Catherine Chipman, took place in 1827.