Although the stone used to construct the house was sourced locally the finely faced stone used in the front of the house was fashioned in the “home country” then brought out here from England along with a great deal of English timber for the construction of the inside of the house. It is almost certain that these materials would have been brought out on one of Captain Crosby’s ships either the Jane Francis or the Wellington. From 1842, Crosby (1805-85) was a regular trader between London and Hobart Town. Crosby was Henry Pearce’s closest friend and, following Crosby’s relocation to Hobart Town in 1853, they occupied adjoining warehouses on Salamanca Place for some 30 years.
A truly beautiful building that is currently a private residence, the house and grounds are classified by the National Trust and are on the Australian Heritage Database.
Main Text & Information source:
A very special thank you to Graham Pearce and his sister, Annette Macquarie who very generously provided corrected & updated information regarding their ancestor, Henry Pearce, and the history of the Poplarville property. Gratefully appreciated.
Information Updated - 27/4/14