Designed by renowned colonial architect Henry Hunter and built by Hobart builder James Gregory in 1875, Macquarie Manor was originally home to the surgeon Dr Richard Stonehewer Bright. In 1870, Dr Bright commissioned Hobart’s pre-eminent architect — Henry Hunter, to design and oversee the construction of a residence fit for a gentleman.
Dr Bright was Hobart’s senior medical practitioner, he was also senior surgeon at the Royal Hobart Hospital and operated his rooms from what is now Macquarie Manor. Dr Richard Stonehewer Bright used to conduct his surgery in what is now the kitchen at Macquarie Manor.
Named after former Governor Lachlan Macquarie, the Hotel was the centre of Hobart’s high society in the latter part of the 19th century, then more recently as the administration and social headquarters of the Royal Automobile Club of Tasmania (RACT).
In 1996, the Hotel was carefully restored to preserve its Victorian and Edwardian heritage, and is classified by the National Trust of Australia (Tasmania).