In 1868, the Rev Tinning became the Congregational minister at Richmond and his hard work in the community attracted more worshipers. In 1873 arrangements were made to construct a new church for the Rev Tinning ‘instead of the half-barn place he was preaching in. The block of land on the north-west corner of Bridge Street / Percy Street junction was purchased by the Congregationalists for ₤50.
The stone for the church did not come directly from a quarry. The Cornwall Chronicle reported how ‘the decrease of crime in the colony has been illustrated in a very remarkable manner at Richmond, where the Municipal Council is retailing the materials of the gaol to builders. The cut stone has been purchased by the Rev Tinning, to be utilized in the construction of the new Congregational Church.’
Main Text & Information Source - Australian Heritage Database