In 1874, the paupers were transferred to Hobart but within two years, they were back at Port Arthur because of overcrowding at the Hobart depot. During the settlements closing years the hall doubled as a theatre. One end of the hall was partitioned off for a stage and weekly musical and theatrical amusements were provided for the “old gentlemen” and the officers, their families and visiting dignitaries.
Main Text & Information Source –
Interpretation Signs at the Pauper’s Mess Site