These premises were constructed by the Congregational Church in 1864 and were known at the time as the Union Chapel. The design was in the Romanesque style and the original design included the construction of a tower as part of the finished building but this ultimately was not proceeded with due to financial restraints.
By 1899 the Helping Hands Mission had acquired the property. This organization’s mission was to reach down to the lower sections of society and to lift them up. They provided the poor of Hobart with food, clothing and even job opportunities as well as the opportunity to include some religious instruction.
The Hobart Repertory Society took over the building in 1938 and following refurbishment of the building, it became the Playhouse Theatre and is still going strong providing quality productions and performances to this day.
Main Text & Information Source –
“The Story of Central Hobart – Street By Street” – Donald Howatson 2015