This elegant brick mansion, originally known as “Elmdon” was originally constructed for Theophilius Cane in 1882. Cane was the proprietor of an ironmongery business that operated today’s 74 Elizabeth Street, (the building still has his name emblazoned on it)
By 1915, the mansion had become the Elmdon Private Hospital, fitted out with some of the most modern equipment and appointments and was well known for offering midwifery, surgical and medical services.
It later became known as Nurse Wooley’s Private Hospital and then as the Montrose Private Hospital.
By the late 1940’s the building had reverted to residential use. It currently is used as office space by the Working It Out Tasmania organization.
Main Text & Information Source –
“The Story of North Hobart – Street By Street” – Donald Howatson 2013