Wednesday, 4 November 2015

Lumeah

Built in 1847, with the verandah added in 1857, this impressive townhouse was orginally known as Beaulieu House and accomodated Mrs Payn's Educational Establishment for Young Ladies.
By 1853, it had become a private boarding house that claimed to "possess all the advantages of a quiet retirement yet remaining in close proximity to the haunts of Hobart Town's business.

Charles James Barclay, the director of the Commercial Bank of Tasmania, purchased the property in 1883 and subsequently changed its name to Lumeah. It was still in Barclay family ownership in the 1950's.

The property has had an interesting history including time as a stately residence and an Officers Club. It was also formerly used for medical consulting rooms. It currently serves as two residences and a professional office space. The flexible layout lends itself to a variety of configurations including professional suites, residences, visitor accommodation, and other potential uses.

The ground floor comprises five offices (or bedroom alternatives), a reception area and waiting room, two utility/storage rooms and a bathroom. The first floor comprises a double bedroom, lounge, kitchen/dining and two bathrooms. The lower ground level has a modern kitchen, sitting room, one bedroom/office, two offices, one cellar, and three utility/storage rooms.

A beautiful verandah with period lacework runs around the northern side of the property and offers a superb position to sit, relax in the sun and enjoy the views. A lush, beautifully established garden surrounds the graceful, three storey Victorian Regency building. This property could easily be returned to its former glory as a very prestigious inner city residence as it is currently in magnificent condition.

Main Text & Information Sources - 
"The Story of Battery Point - Street By Street" - Donald Howatson 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment