Sunday, 8 November 2015

Cottage Ornee, Campbell Town

Captain Henry Frederick Forth arrived in Van Diemen's Land in 1833 and for a few years he was employed as Director General Of Roads & Bridges. In 1836 he became police magistrate in Campbell Town and the cottage was built for him in that year.

One of his roles was to supervise construction and public works in the area and that included the construction of the Red bridge in Campbell Town. When he left Van Diemen's Land in 1848, he became treasurer of Hong Kong for eighteen years and then spent 6 years as Lieutenant Governor of Jamaica.

The property was also known as Hazeldene at one stage and was the home to the Upton family for over 125 years. It consists of 4 bedrooms, kitchen/dining, lounge room, office and two front rooms, with original ornate features, mantles and established gardens. This beautiful historic cottage remains in wonderful condition and is currently a private residence. It remains an important part of the streetscape of Campbell Town.

Main Text & Information Source - 
Interpretive Sign at the Site

No comments:

Post a Comment