This building was constructed by H.J Savage as a general store in the mid 1850's. The Evans family, who were related to Savage, later ran the store and were still trading there in 1907. During World War 2, the building was used as a store for scrap paper and after the war had ended, part of the premises were used as tea rooms.
Bothwell Masonic Lodge purchased the building in 1955 and used it for several years with the ground floor operating as an art gallery from 1984. The Post Office was relocated to the building in 2007 from its previous location in Alexander St bringing with it some of the original post office furnishings including the original counter. It continues in this role to this day.