This is an interesting little shop that dates back to the late 1890's. Charles Medhurst originally operated the shop as early as 1897 in its original location in the grounds of Elizabeth House, further along High Street from its current location.
For generations, Bothwell families had their footwear hand made by Charles and his son, Clarrie. The building was first moved from Elizabeth House to the grounds of the Fall Of Clyde Inn before being moved back into High Street, just down the road from its original position. At the time of this final move, the fabric of the building was restored and displays set up inside.
The interior of the shop can be inspected by appointment. (Ph: 03 6259 5649) or enquire at the Bothwell Visitors Information Centre
Main Text & Information Sources -
Interpretive Sign at the Site
"Browse Historic Bothwell" brochure - Bothwell Historic Society