Sunday 13 November 2016

Australian World Heritage Convict Sites

My apologies for the lack of posts recently but I have been on a trip checking out some of the World Heritage listed Convict sites in both New South Wales & especially Norfolk Island.
To visit and photograph these wonderful sites has been part of my bucket list for ages so I was rapt to be able to visit some of these sites. There are some sites and buildings already posted on the blog so I will be adding the "World Heritage Convict Sites" label on each of those posts so they can be gathered together by clicking on the labels on the right hand side of the blog page.
For those who are unfamiliar with these sites, the Australian World Heritage Convict Sites are a collection of UNESCO World Heritage Listed properties consisting of 11 penal sites originally built within the British Empire during the 18th and 19th centuries on fertile Australian coastal strips at Sydney, Tasmania, Norfolk Island, and Fremantle. These sites are now representing "...the best surviving examples of large-scale convict transportation and the colonial expansion of European powers through the presence and labour of convicts."
I will begin posting some of these shortly and I hope you'll enjoy them.