The substantial customs house was built in 1885 by J & T Gunn at a cost of 9,500 pounds. Custom House, with its elegant portico and Corinthian columns and its overall size is indicative of Launceston’s importance as a port at the time and this building once housed what was thought to be the most important of government functions. The ore from rich tin mines at was processed in the town, plus Launceston supplied the mine fields on the west coast.
Trade flourished, and the customs duties contributed to a booming Tasmanian economy. Sadly, today the wharves which were synonymous with this building are gone and a very necessary levee bank visually divorces the building from its immediate riverside setting.
This building once housed what was thought to be the most important of government functions and currently contains the offices for Customs and Border Protection in Launceston.