In its coaching heyday it had three coaching inns, the Tunbridge Wells Inn, the
Originally known as Tunbridge Wells (after the famous English spa town), Tunbridge is located 92 km from Launceston and 107 km from
Tunbridge Manor is a fantastic piece of Tasmanian history in the centre of town and dominates the townscape. Built in the 1840, as a staging post for the early transport days, where the premises offered accommodation, meals, beverages and stabling for horses.
Up until the late 60's when the highway by-passed the town, it was a magnet for the hungry traveller. For the latter years it has been a private residence. Overall the property is still in good condition. Built over 3 stories, the building has up to 8/10 bedrooms, various bathrooms, large living space, attic rooms, and cellars. Outside there are stables, garages, various sheds, all located on 10 acres bordering the
Built in 1825, the Tunbridge Wells Inn is a significant example of a single-storey Old Colonial Georgian inn and farmhouse with its long medium-pitched broken-back roof, half-hipped gables, enclosed eaves, flagged veranda and extensive use of local rough-hewn and rubble stone.
The building was strategically erected by Thomas (a former convict) and Ann Flemming, along the original
The Tunbridge Wells Inn is recognised by the State for its heritage value and was included on the Tasmania Heritage Council Register on 22 September 1999. The building and grounds are recognised by the Historic Cultural Heritage Act 1995 as an important demonstration of the evolution of Tasmanian history and is also considered a significant representative in demonstrating the characteristics of a colonial Inn design.
Other buildings of importance include the Colonial Homestead was built in 1820, the The Victoria Inn (outside is a sandstone roller used to roll the roads by the convicts), the Coaching Stables (1843), The Blind Chapel (now the Masonic Hall and reputedly 'blind' - no windows - on one side so the parishioners didn't have to look at the local pub, and Bowerman's General Store (a handsome two-storey Georgian building with a five bay facade and slim columns)