The convict system was a major feature in the history of Tasmania. The Probation system was the last major phase of the convict system in Tasmania, and was restricted to that island from 1841-53. At least 85 probation stations were established between 1841 and 1853, when transportation to Van Diemen's Land ceased. The Paradise Probation Station was one of the probation stations established in this time. The site is important as a relatively intact archaeological site providing evidence of probation station design. The site appears to be one of the most intact of surviving probation station sites. The Paradise Probation Station site is approximately 2 km along the convict built road which begins just north of the bridge across the Prosser River at Orford. The site is situated on a rise in open woodland encountered immediately after crossing Station Creek.
A date for the closure of the station is not definitively known. Certainly it was some time before 1855, based on a private application to lease the land attached to the station. This request was rejected on the grounds that the buildings may have been required for police purposes. In 1856 part of the station was destroyed by fire and in 1870 the land was purchased from the Crown for farming purposes.
Convicts were removed from assigned service and placed in one of the many probation stations established around the colony. The basis for the new system was the introduction of an initial fixed period of labour in gangs, followed by a staged progression of less severe punishment, finalizing in conditional release. Assignment was replaced by a system of probation passes, which enabled a convict, following the probation period, to be hired out to settlers on short term contracts, until they earned a ticket-of-leave. The Probation Stations were the centres for administering and housing the work gangs.
Information Source: Australian Heritage Database