The Hobart City Hall is significant as an early twentieth century public hall and market building. Its site, which was formerly the city market-place, has been used for civic congregation in Hobart since the middle of the nineteenth century. City Hall has been used as a centre for civic, social and recreational activities since 1915, in addition to its market function. Its construction reflects the civic development of Hobart.
City Hall occupies an entire city block and with its four towers, capped with domed roofs and elongated spires, constitutes a landmark with streetscape value.
The City Hall received a foyer renovation in 1975, designed by architect Peter Willmott, while employed by the Hobart City Council. This tidied up the entrance and brought it back from deterioration. The Collins Street wall was filled in with red brick in 1969 where previously there had been shops.
The City Hall together with the adjacent Metropolitan Transport Trust Building are important elements in the civic design of Hobart.