The convict built two storey Glebe House was a private residence built for Rev George Otter in 1839. The Rev Otter was the Anglican Minister for Green Ponds. Otter chose the site for his new home for its closeness to St Mary’s Anglican Church.
He had been the perpetual Curate of All Saints, Newmarket in London where, in January 1838, he married Mary Anne Wedge. He and his new bridge then emigrated to Van Diemen’s Land where he was appointed the new Chaplain of Green Ponds in April 1839, a post that he held until 1849.
Considered one of the finest houses in the town, Glebe House was described in 1850 as “A Capital Dwelling House, having every possible convenience, and suitable for a gentlemen’s residence or scholastic establishment containing flower garden & paddocks”
The property later passed through several hands before being purchased by the Munnings family in 1921. Walter Munnings, a farmer from Colebrook, built a weatherboard shop at the front of the block but later moved the shop across the road opposite his home. The house today remains a private residence. It was up for sale & sold as recently as 2011.