The orginal stone dwelling at the rear of this property was built by Edward Randall and Thomas Croxton (Stonemason) in 1842. In 1852, ownership transferred to John Ashton who then let the premises, including blacksmith, stables and outbuildings. It came to be known as Murphy’s Lodge when run by the Murphy’s as a lodging house. Tenants in the 1850’s included an unscrupulous bootmaker and his wife whose “other business” included an illegal brothel.
The present shop & dwelling was built in 1910 when the property was purchased by the nearby McKay’s Bakery. The sisters Dorcas & Florence Mckay sold the produce of the bakery and later general lines, lollies and reputedly the most wonderful home made ice blocks.
The current businesses utilizing the shop areas were established in 2007 and the stone house is now a private residence.